Was the last time when you were very young, or was it more recently?
I would find it quite difficult to count the number of times when somebody has stepped in and given me a helping hand over the years. I’m a highly independent, well educated, and (probably) ‘bossy’ woman and it has sometimes been hard to admit I’ve needed help.
It’s actually OK… Invariably someone knows how to do something to get me out of a hole.
This was when I had to swallow my pride and ring a friend to come around to help!
The interesting thing was that the friend’s immediate reaction was, “Oh my goodness – if you can’t cope – how can the rest of us?” She then hung up the phone, straight away, and arrived at my doorstep within a few minutes. Blessings on friends!!
What my friend was actually saying was, “Oh wow – you are always amazingly capable and we look up to you.”
What I heard was, “OMG – we need you to look after all of us and, if you fall apart and are unable to cope, then who can we turn to?”
This misunderstanding, on my part, made me determined to become even more independent, well educated, and I reckon, unintentionally, I became even more ‘bossy’!
- It is OK to not know everything.
- It is OK to call for help.
- It is OK to try something – not manage to do it and adapt it.
- It is OK to say, “Actually, I can’t do that - yet.”
- It is OK to make mistakes and not always be ‘perfect’.
- It is OK to just be a friend to somebody else – even if I can only listen and hold a hand.
- And it is still OK to be a bit ‘bossy’ when it is needed! GRIN!
I promise I will be there for you when you need to be lifted up by YOUR bottom!
- Is there somebody YOU need to thank for helping you out of a hole?
- Is there something YOU need that requires you asking for help?
- Is there something that you ‘heard’ that has held you back from trying something new?
- Is there something you know you must change, right now, because you realise it has been creating a ‘you’ that you know you aren’t?
You are loved…. Just the way you are!